Steamroom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Their Prom! (Being published in an e-zine yay)

3 posters

Go down

Their Prom! (Being published in an e-zine yay) Empty Their Prom! (Being published in an e-zine yay)

Post  Dreamygrril Fri 23 Apr 2010, 11:08 pm

I wrote this before I set up this challenge. It is actually what made me think of it Smile Well anyway I turned it into Foundling Review an online magazine and I just got the acceptance so I thought I'd share!

Their Prom

A gregarious orgy of twisted streamers and sprinkled confetti surround the tightly knit groups of popular and unpopular, tall, short, fat, red, black, and white, all balled up onto a dance floor wearing flowers and tuxedos with dresses that will never rise again. Two bad bands line up the night brightened by flashes of photographers and flashes of smiles both for pictures and their dates, “You look nice.” and “You do too.” Exchanged pleasantries go un-exchanged throughout the rest of the year but hair has never held so much hairspray and gel.

It's off to the after party where manhood will be tested by young girls seeking only to play it cool if he doesn't play it right and home by eleven is the only rule left standing. Makeout sessions in dad or moms van and a ride in their one and only limo that was rented by a friend, eight to each turn, chugging vodka that doesn't settle. A bathroom break at Wendy's grabs the attention of every older person who is having midnight breakfast and sees the ruffles wondering if the play is in town. But the nauseated youngster exits rallied and the night is young again.

Thirty minutes and one hour past curfew and they are grounded by a chuckling parent who takes one final picture as they close their bedroom door. They might not have had any punch, and they might not have had the bases loaded with the home run of their dreams, but the pictures and yearbook signings will remind them fifty years later that they came, and they saw, and they had the greatest night of their lives. And regardless who they went with and who they left with...

It will still be their Prom.

THE END

Dreamygrril
Dreamygrril
Dreamygrril
Admin

http://steamroom.gratuitoforum.com

Back to top Go down

Their Prom! (Being published in an e-zine yay) Empty Re: Their Prom! (Being published in an e-zine yay)

Post  Gwyndolin Sat 24 Apr 2010, 9:33 am

I saw that on WB, and figured that's why you had come up with the challenge. I'm so excited for you that it's being published! Is this your first time being published?

I still love the story, especially the trip into Wendy's and the chuckling, picture taking parent grounding them. So cute!

Gwyndolin

Back to top Go down

Their Prom! (Being published in an e-zine yay) Empty Re: Their Prom! (Being published in an e-zine yay)

Post  aalmcmullen Sat 24 Apr 2010, 2:08 pm

Good story, Dreamygrril. Like a slice of Americana. Very Happy
aalmcmullen
aalmcmullen

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreamygrril Tue 27 Apr 2010, 10:18 am

Thanks guys. No Gwen its the second fiction piece to be published, but hopefully not the last Smile

Yep, a bit cheesy Smile

Thats how I knew it would be published Laughing
Dreamygrril
Dreamygrril
Admin

http://steamroom.gratuitoforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down